How to fix error 3002 upgrading to iOS5 (Mac/Windows)

UPDATE: As I'm sure you can tell, the Apple servers are having some major issues right now because of the amount of traffic they are receiving. If you can't upgrade or and you have tried the fix below, just keep trying, you will ge through eventually.

A few of our readers have been reporting receiving an unknown (3002) when trying to update to iOS5. This appears to indicate that you are blocking Apple's verification servers in your file much like the 1015 errors we have seen in the past. There is a very simple fix for this.

Step 1. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc

Step 2.Open as administator (right-click and run as admin) and open the "hosts" file from the folder above in that window.

Step 3. Find this line in your hosts file and delete it(delete any entries):

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Step 4. Now save your hosts file with the gs.apple.com lines removed.

Step 5. Launch iTunes and hit restore and or update and you should get to iOS5 no problem.

Mac:

Step 1. Open , then type the following in order to open your hosts file:

sudo nano /etc/hosts

Step 2. Find this line in your hosts file and delete it:

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Step 3. Save your hosts file.

Step 4. Launch iTunes and hit restore and or update and you should get to iOS5 no problem.

Other users have been experiencing a different error "An internal error occured (3200)." This error seems to be because Apple's servers are getting swamped from all the traffic. Wait for a while and then try restoring/updating again.

24 Responses to How to fix error 3002 upgrading to iOS5 (Mac/Windows)

1. emercy says:

its not working . i made the hosts part , and no apple line in there , i shutdown the firewall , and still getting the same error.

2. adam says:

it seems to work by just running itunes as administator

3. Sam McAllister says:

trying this now (y) ..

4. Racsan says:

This worked for me on Windows 7. Hold shift then click restore because the file is a restore not an update. Find your downloaded IPSW file then just follow on screen instructions and wait for your apps to return.

You can restore or update, but thanks for the tip! It just comes down to luck right now, the servers are swamped so you just have to keep retrying until the restore goes through.

5. robloftus says:

Hi, I have a Macbook and I can’t find that line in the sudo nano /etc/hosts in terminal.. help please?

6. Johan says:

If it don’t work, just keep trying. I had to do it 7 times before i finally got it. Be patient.

7. nzinga says:

the error i am getting trying to upgrade to ios 5 os 3194 not 3200 please help!

8. robloftus says:

This is the error message that I keep getting every time I try to update iOS 5: “The iPhone “Rob Loftus’s iPhone” could not be restored. This device isn’t eligible for the requested build.”

I have an iPhone 4 running a tethered 4.2.10 jailbreak with redsn0w on Verizon.. I don’t get it.. what the hell?!?!

9. mathew says:

Aaagghhrrr…. I have a Verizon iphone 4 and it won’t update to ios 5, either. It says the device isn’t available for the requested build, as well. I followed the directions above and… nothing. Any other recomendations?

10. suhail says:

i need administrator approval to save new hosts file
    how to do that???

11. Chakravarthy Chakravarthy says:

I tried the hosts thing.. flushed the cache every attempt and yet i find the ineligibility error constantly. tried more than 10 times

12. Sakalicious7 says:

this helps me too much! thanks sir

13. Johann_j96 says:

How do i search for the ‘74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com’ file? it’s not there.