How to Downgrade from iOS5 to 4.3.5 or 4.2.10

Recently, has been cracking down on unauthorized iOS5 users. It has been determined that Apple has identified several developer accounts who broke their TOS by selling their slots for a fee to iDevice users who wanted to try out the beta firmware. Apple has begun shutting these developer accounts and if you are one of the people who purchased a UDID slot you will now notice that your device is nothing more than a paper weight.

Please follow the instructions below(Mac/Win) to downgrade from whatever iOS5 beta you are on back to or 4.2.10(CDMA).

Step 1: Download iOS 4.3.5 or iOS 4.2.10

Step 2: Connect your device that is running iOS5 to your computer and turn it off.

Step 3: Put your device into DFU mode by holding down home and power for 10 seconds and then releasing power but continue holding home for another 10 seconds. If you have troubles, check out our DFU mode video tutorial.

Step 4: should detect a device in recovery mode and your screen should be black.

Step 5: Hold down shift(win) or option(mac) and press the "restore" button. Select the 4.3.5 or 4.2.10 firmware file you downloaded in step 1 and the downgrade will initiate. Once it is done, your phone will reboot and you will be back on 4.x firmware.

50 Responses to How to Downgrade from iOS5 to 4.3.5 or 4.2.10

1. JaeM1llz says:

Why would you want to do that?

Use the newest version of iTunes, don’t use the beta.

• CHRIS says:

you can’t downgrade your iTunes 10.5 beta to 10.4. iTunes 10.5 creates an iTunes library file that 10.4 can’t read.

You just completely uninstall iTunes 10.5 and then reinstall 10.4

• Jim says:

Hi Jea,

I am from India (Bought the Iphone 4 from AT &T ) and I am using Gevey Pro to unlock by iphone4. Yesterday I have upgraded to Os 5 after that my phone is not working.

1. Do I need to downgrade my Itunes from 10.5 to 10.4? ( just worried that I will loose all my data)
            2. if i restore to 4.3.5 my baseband also be downgraded ?

Thanks,
            Jim

Unfortunately by upgrading to iOS5 you upgraded your baseband to one which is not compatible with Gevey and there is no way to downgrade baseband. You will not currently be able to unlock that phone.

2. kerry says:

it always says error when i try to downgrade like tht

3. Kenz says:

I keep getting the error 1 when I try to downgrade. :\

4. Tom Ellis says:

Follow these easy steps for downgrade to previous firmware

1. Uninstall intunes 10.5 beta and reinstall itunes 10.4
    2. Before opening itunes 10.4 open you itunes music folder and rename “itunes library.itl” to itunes library.old
    3. Put your iphone in to recovery mode, plug in to usb and open itunes Dont panic when there is nothing there, itunes creates a new itl file.
    4. Click on iphone in itunes and hit restore
    5. This restores the iphone to ligitimate previous version 4.3.5 in my case
    6. As soon as it completes unplug the iphone from pc and close itunes
    7. Reinstall itunes 10.5 beta
    8. When complete, leave itunes closed and delete newly created itunes library.itl and rename old file back to itunes library.itl

This allow you to return the phone back to legitimate IPSW and keep your itunes library in tact etc.

5. jamie says:

Okay, this is my situation here :(
    i had untethered jailbreak ios 4.3.5/unlocked with gevey turbo sim for tmobile.
    i wasant thinking at all about unlocking the sim so i upgraded to ios5.0 gm last night.
    It was actually easier then what i thoguth so yeah and obviously i got stock on the recognizing sim :<
    So i decided to downgrade back to 4.3.5 (got shsh back up)
    i tried all day today to downgrade back to 4.3.5 but it wont work!!!!
    heres the stpes i have done to downgrade mine.

++got my 4.3.5 frimware ready with tinyumbrella v5.00.12

1.To avoid error 1013 i have turned on tinyumbrella and UNCHECKED "Set hosts to cydia on exit" on the adven. tab and 'start tss server'
    2. Turned on the itune with my phone on DFU mode.
    3. Shift+Restore and click on 4.3.5 firmware that i got it ready.
    4. Let itune work.

***after this my phone keeps on going to the RECOVERY MODE which does not have slide button on the bottom but just the itune sign with arrow/plug pic.
    I searched this error; and found out i can fix it by fixrecovery43.exe. I have done this stpes and it seems working BUT!!! all the steps for the fixrecovery43 says after my phone automatically reboots itune will detect the phone.
    BUT MINE DOESNT DO THAT!!
    IT KEEPS ON GOING BACK TO THE RECOVERY MODE.

I do not know what i have done wrong……….
    please help me out…
    It has been a day already….
    do you know what might have been the problem?????

If you updated to iOS5 it’s too late. Once your baseband is upgraded, there is no way to downgrade it even if you downgrade your firmware. I would say restore to iOS5 and sell the phone because you’re not going to be able to unlock it.

6. Oski says:

FUCK!

Why did I have to update this morning, why? I was perfectly happy with the jailbreak…

“you’re not going to be able to unlock it.”

Does this mean no more jailbreaking, orr..?

7. WDG says:

Lost use of my bluetooth stereo headset remote controls with v5. going back to 4.x until its fixed

8. Igor says:

I just upgraded to IOS 5 last week, but I want to unlock my iPhone to use in on t-Mobile. What can I ado? Should I downgrade to 4.3.5. version and unlcock it via GEVEY, or there are any other ways to do it? And if I want to downgrade it to 4.3.5 version, how can I do it?
    Thanks a lot

Once you’ve upgraded to iOS5 your baseband becomes permanently upgraded to a version that is not unlockable. I’m afraid you won’t be able to unlock that phone anymore, at least until Gevey updates their hardware or software to be compatible with the new baseband.

9. iPhoneUser7 says:

Guyz.. I was using iPhone 4 with iOS 4.3.5 (bb: 4.10.01) on Vodafone India using Gevey and updated to iOS 5 (bb: 4.11.08) today assuming my that my Gevey would be good to go with the newer firmware. I LOST my Gevey unlock and was unable to use it with my Indian carrier anymore. I came accross this following post and did exactly what they said and was able to downgrade from iOS 5 (bb: 4.11.08) to iOS 4.3.5 (bb: 4.10.01) as apple is STILL SIGNING the old firmware.

FYI, I never had any SHSH saved with cydia and my iPhone was never jailbroken.

10. ADARSH says:

I have also upgraded my ios to 5.0 and am unable to use the phone as gevey has not upgraded. Can u pls let us know if there is any other way out or by when gevey upgrade will be available in india???

11. tgipson says:

i upgraded my jail broken iphone 4 to ios 5 after the upgrade was complete my phone read no sim card installed or pin locked. what do i have to do to downgrade my phone and get it back to working?

12. Ruby says:

Hi, my iphone4 is currently updated to IOS 5 with my baseband 4.10.1 if i downgrade it back to 4.3.5 will the gevey sim work again?

13. Alexis says:

Hi, i uploaded to ios5 from 4.3.5 preserving baseband but without saving shsh, is there any way to downgrade to 4.3.5? Im having issues with recieving calls on standby now

14. Essey says:

I just upgrate my iphone4 from ios 4.3.5 to ios 5.0, just realise many application cant work properly, ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME HOW TO DOWNGRADE IT BACK TO IOS 4.3.5….

15. Essey says:

WHAT IS SHSH?

16. PatrickD says:

Hi, I updated my iPhone 4 to iOS5 and now my baseband is 4.11.08 I managed to jailbreak it and when I check on cydia it says that I have shsh saved for 4.2 and 4.3 firmwares. Ok the question now is can I downgrade it back to any of the old firmwares and have my baseband back to 4.10.xx so I can unlock with ultrasn0w?

17. nick says:

when i click restore it says error 3194. idk what to do, please help

18. Joey says:

Ok I recently purchased an iPhone 4
    Version 5.0(9A334)
    Model MC318LL
    Firmware 04.11.08

I jailbroke it and it works perfectly but here’s my problem, I need to unlock it for T-mobile. I did a ton of research and most say i have to unjailbreak it then downgrade it then jailbreak again but i just cant seem to unjailbreak it. I’m lost i dont know what to do. I jailbroke it with redsn0w. Do i have to wait till the people behind cydia are able to unlock it or what? what do i do?

19. Chels says:

Hello im wondering if you can help me,
    I am trying to downgrade from ios5 to 4.3.5, I have the SHSH file however I keep getting the error 3194. I have googled it and tried all the solutions I could find however none of them have worked. I have tried having the ‘set hosts to Cydia on exit’ ticked and unticked (both were suggested) but it hasn’t worked. I have also tried putting my device into DFU mode and adding “74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com” onto my hosts file, this hasn’t worked either. How can I downgrade my phone and what am I doing wrong?

20. Chea says:

Dear All!

I have iphone 4 which is lock in my country but I upgrade to ISO5 Modem Firmware 4.11.08 then i can’t use with gevey sim.

Therefore, I would like to ask all of your kindly help and give your comment to me what should i do then or I can downgrade as the below instruction.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Seav Chea.

21. Peterrmcflyy says:

hey im downgrading my 3gs from ios5 to 4.3..5 & i want to know do i need to re jailbreak it so it can use my simplemobile card

22. Raciramnols says:

i have a 3gs iphone and jailbreak it to the technician and then it happens a recovery mode and cannot return to the original setings the version is 5.0 9a334,model mc64oll,modern firmware is 05.16.05…what is the solution for this..cannot restore to the itunes…pls help!