Tethered iOS5 Jailbreak Using Redsn0w 0.9.8b1 Tutorial
The iPhone-Dev team has already released their tethered jailbreak for the iOS5 beta firmware. As we announced earlier, iOS5 is still susceptible to the limera1n exploit and therefore it was very easy for the dev-team to update their software to support the new firmware. Unfortunately, it appears that @i0n1cs untetthered exploit has been patched in iOS5 so it could be quite some time before we get an untethered jailbreak.
You will also need an iOS5 beta firmware file in order to use this new jailbreak tool. For non-developers please follow our how to install iOS5 without a developer account tutorial. Please read below about some things you should know before following this tutorial.
UNLOCKERS AND THOSE PRESERVING THEIR UNLOCKABLE BASEBANDS SHOULD STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS! You will very likely lose your unlockable baseband if you try to install iOS 5.
THIS JAILBREAK IS INTENDED ONLY FOR DEVELOPERS OF JAILBROKEN APPS! There are just too many broken components (Apple’s official apps, 3rd-party App Store apps, Cydia apps, MobileSubstrate apps, etc) for this to be useful to anyone but those truly looking to fix bugs in their iOS 5 jailbroken apps. (Seriously!)
THIS IS A TETHERED JAILBREAK ONLY! No new exploits are being exposed with this jailbreak (it uses geohot’s limera1n bootrom exploit), but that comes at a cost. You will need to use redsn0w to “Just boot tethered now” to be able to use many things, including Cydia and Safari. If you see a white icon for Cydia, or if Cydia or Safari crash when you open them, it’s because you didn’t boot tethered.
IF YOU HAVE THE 06.15 BASEBAND ON YOUR 3GS…this redsn0w will get you past the iTunes restore error you’ll get when using the stock IPSW (nobody other than those with the 06.15 baseband should be going anywhere near the stock IPSW!).
The way redsn0w works, you will very likely be able to use this on upcoming iOS5 betas, just by continuing to point redsn0w at the 5.0b1 IPSW. So keep that IPSW handy!
1) Download iOS 5 Beta for your iDevice.
2) Update or restore your iDevice to iOS 5 using iTunes 10.5 Beta (download above) as if you weren’t applying the jailbreak.
3) Download the redsnow 0.9.8b1 above. Point redsnow to the iOS 5 Beta firmware as shown below.
4) Now check Install Cydia, optionally choose other options if you want. Click Next.
5) Turn off your iDevice before proceeding, but leave it plugged in, otherwise the jailbreak will not work.
6) This next step will give you instructions on how to enter DFU mode : Press and hold both your Home and Power button for 10 seconds. Release the Power button, but leave the Home button pressed for 10 more seconds. Try to follow the instructions, as given by redsnow jailbreak tool.
7) Now, let redsnow do its work. After sometime, redsnow will notify you once the process is completed.
Booting in Tethered Mode : This is a tethered jailbreak, you need to connect your iDevice to a computer running redsnow 0.9.8b1 whenever you power up your iDevice. For this, open redsnow and choose the option Just boot tethered right now. It’s a long process, and there won’t be an untethered jailbreak anytime soon.