The iPhone Dev Team has just released official version of  which incorporates the new kernel based exploit of GreenPois0n for creating full untethered iOS .1 custom firmware files. Almost all iOS devices are supported except for iPod Touch 2G.

List of supported devices by PwnageTool 4.2 includes:

• iPhone 3G
  • iPhone 3GS
  • iPhone 4
  • iPhone 4 Verizon
  • iPod touch 3G
  • iPod touch 4G
  • iPad

When to use PwnageTool over GreenPois0n? If your iPhone relies on a carrier , YOU MUST use this version of PwnageTool to create custom 4.2.1 firmware files without the upgraded baseband so that you can your phone on the old baseband using Ultrasn0w 1.2.

Instructions for jailbreaking using PwnageTool are similar to the last release, simply follow them as posted here. Select IPSW file where required.

Download PwnageTool 4.2 for Mac
Download iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple TV 2G

18 Responses to PwnageTool 4.2 for iOS 4.2.1 Untethered Jailbreak Released! [Update While Preserving Baseband]

1. Laxman says:

I have an Iphone 3g with IOS 4.1 on 6.15 BB prev jailbroken with Redsnow n unlocked with Ultrasnow for use with my sim. Is it ok for me to upgrd to 4.1.2 with this tool?

2. Laxman says:

Sorry I meant 4.2.1 :)

3. Laxman says:

Felt great to get replied in seconds. So i dwnld the factory 4.2.1 and use in the first step to bypass the first redsnow screen then i use the pre-jailbroken 4.2.1 in the last step and it will work. right? and by the way where will it update my bb from 6.15 :p

4. Laxman says:

So I install the custom fw 4.2.1 from this tool and it will jailbreak my device and I just need to install ultrasnow from Cydia right?

• thescragster says:

Hi Laxman,

Yes, download the factory iOS 4.2.1 firmware file, open the Pwnage Tool. Select your device, then the firmware file you have downloaded.

The Pwnage Tool will go about creating a custom firmware file.

When this is finished, put your device into DFU mode, we have a tutorial for that here.

Hold down shift and click on restore in the iTunes window. Select the custom firmware file you have just created.

When iTunes has restored this file, you have jailbroken device, simply install Ultrasn0w through Cydia.

Let me know if you need anymore clarification.

5. Laxman says:

Sweet.Wat more wld I need than these clear words! Thanks Man. U guys Rock.

6. laxu says:

so How do i unlock using ultrasn0w when my SIM isnt supported and hence no cellular data on the fone.any alternatives via pc to add ultrasn0w?

7. Amit says:

I have Iphone 4 firmware 4.1 and baseband 2.10.. is there any jailbreak and unlock for it

• thescragster says:

Hi Amit,

At this time there is no available unlock for the baseband you are on. The iPhone Dev Team are working on this and it will be released after Apple releases iOS 4.3.

Thanks

8. Guy says:

Hey Man… Thanx for the Awesome Tutorial…. I am trying to use Plex on My ATV2, However when I restored with Custom Restore, to jailbreak, it came up with unable to restore as this device is not eligable for restore (or something Similar)… Can you email me some help?? Thanx again for Tutorial, Very Clear

You cannot restore a firmware that is not being signed anymore. Try doing a factory restore to 4.2.1 and then using greenpois0n to jailbreak. Thanks!

9. Iain says:

I have a iphone
    3GS iOS 4.21 BB 05.15.04
    bootrom iBoot-359.3

Can I JB and unlock using this method preserving my BB so I don’t lose GPS?

You have already updated your baseband when you updated to 4.2.1, there is no way to preserve your baseband once you have already updated. Your only option for unlock now is to update your baseband to the 06.15.00 iPad baseband using redsn0w which is unlockable.

10. gutzeit says:

Hi,

I have a 3GS with 3.2.1 installed on it and I am trying to upgrade using the pwnage, preserving the baseband. I followed all the steps to create custom IPWS but when using iTunes to restore from custom file it says that “the device is not eligible” for the update. What can I do ?

Thanks in advance.