Chronic Dev Team Releases Greenpois0n RC5 4.2.1 untethered jailbreak tutorial
The Chronic Dev Team has finally released Greenpois0n RC5 which is an untethered jailbreak for 4.2.1. Right now this is only for Mac and Windows, a Linux version should be out shortly. This tutorial is how to install Greenpois0n RC5 on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch 4.2.1 and will work for Windows or Mac.
UPDATE: A new version of Greenpois0n RC5 has been released today, February 4th, in order to fix some issues. The download links below have been updated.
- iPod Touch 2G (all bootroms)
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPad 1G
- iPhone 3Gs (all bootroms)
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4 Verizon
-AppleTV 2G is supported, please see our Greenpois0n RC6 post
- a supported device (see above)
- the device should run iOS 4.2.1. Please check on the device in the Settings -> General -> About page.
If your device is running an older version, please upgrade iOS first using iTunes.
*** If you want to SIM Unlock, preserve your baseband using TinyUmbrella(iPhone 4 ONLY) ***
- at least MacOSX 10.5
- OSX in a VM won't work
- a working internet connection
- if your device is jailbroken with iPhone Dev Team's Monte, please restore to fresh 4.2.1. first
- if Cydia doesn't show up after Loader, you may need to reboot the device
- this version of greenpois0n doesn't include a patched activation system. You'll need to activate your device using iTunes
- WE DO NOT SUPPORT PIRACY !
The following instructions will help you jailbreak iOS 4.2.1 on iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod Touch 2G/3G/4G, Apple TV and Apple TV 2G using GreensPois0n.
NOTE: If your iPhone 4 relies on an unlock, do not update to iOS 4.2.1 yet as doing so will upgrade your baseband, making it impossible for now to unlock.
Step 1: Download GreenPois0n from from the links above.
Step 2: Connect your iPhone via USB to your computer and click on “Jailbreak” as seen in the screenshot below.
- Press and hold the sleep button for 2 seconds
- Continue holding sleep; press and hold home for 10 seconds.
- Release sleep button; continue holding home for 10 seconds or until Greenpois0n detects your device.
Step 4: Your device is now ready for jailbreak. Greenpois0n will say "complete" and you will see lines of text scrolling on your device.
Step 5: Your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch should now be successfully jailbroken on iOS 4.2.1. Now start “Loader” found on the homescreen and install Cydia.
This is it! You are done !
Download iOS 4.2.1 for iPhone 4, 3GS, iPod touch 4G / 3G / 2G and iPad
When you jailbreak with GP RC5 you will see 4 errors:
followed by "Greenpoison Initialized" these errors are normal, however, some users(including me) have been getting stuck at that screen. The screen changes pretty quick after that so if you are stuck at Greenpoison Initialized for more than like 15 seconds you probably have to try again. A fix for this issue is basically just trial and error. Personally I had to restart my iPhone 15 times before Greenpois0n actually went all the way through. One of our members, iBrandon, suggested to continue holding the home button down even after you're in DFU mode. This worked for me once, but the second time I just restarted and it worked.
Loader.app downloading Cydia problems:
Use Redsn0w 0.9.6.4b4 to install Cydia, select ONLY the option "install Cydia"
Please note that your download may take a while as the servers are under a heavy load as the jailbreak has just been released.
Also, the "Big Surprise" that we mentioned the other day is that the new version of GreePois0n will allow you to set custom animated boot logos for your devices.