Redsn0w 0.9.7b3 tutorial untethered 4.2.1 jailbreak
First of all, this is the 'backup plan' beta release, which means it’s rough around the edges, and things can go sporadically or randomly wonky. Second of all, even if everything were smooth sailing, there’s still a process involved — unlike Comex’s upcoming hack, which will reportedly allow for easy, one-touch jailbreaking.
Some other important things you need to know before you even think about using this:
- If you depend on the Ultrasn0w unlock, DO NOT jailbreak using this. It will remove your unlock.
- This beta release of redsn0w 0.9.7 disables Bluetooth functionality.
- This hack only works with Mac OS X. (Sorry, PC users.)
- This hack only works for the current models of iDevices (iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G, iPad)
- The iPod app only seems to work on the iPod Touch 4G right now.
- This tool uses your saved SHSH blobs for iOS 4.2 Beta 3, so if you don’t already have this, you may need to restore your device to the official iOS 4.2.1 firmware, and then jailbreak your device with redsn0w 0.9.6b4 first before using redsn0w 0.9.7. (If you jailbroke using redsn0w 0.9.6b5, you probably used it for unlocking purposes and should definitely stay away from this hack for now.)
- On a positive note, jailbreakers who have already used redsn0w 0.9.6b4 and have their 4.2 Beta 3 blobs saved will not have to restore or re-jailbreak their device.
If you can wait for a full release or better yet, for Comex’s hack, that’s clearly the better way to go. But if you absolutely must jailbreak untethered this weekend and aren’t deterred by these issues, then follow the tutorial below. Before you attempt this hack, though, let us give you one last very important note:
This beta 1 release is a rough version. If you have important data, photos or other media in your device that you want to safeguard, you absolutely should back everything up before you proceed. (And don’t forget — your camera roll pics don’t automatically sync to your computer, so remember to copy those over.)
STEP 1: First of all, you have to jailbreak your iOS 4.2.1 device using Redsn0w.
STEP 2: Once jailbroken, tap on Cydia and check if your 4.2b3 SHSH blobs saved or not. You should see "SHSH: 4.2b3" in the status as shown in the screenshot below:
STEP 3: Now download Redsn0w 0.9.7b3 from the link below and connect your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
STEP 4: Since this is a beta release, you must have usbmuxd that can be download from here. Now start terminal in python-client directory then type in the following commands:
chmod +x tcprelay.py
./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222
STEP 5: Now start Redsn0w 0.9.7b3 and point it to an official iOS 4.2.1 .IPSW file which can be downloaded here.
STEP 7: Final step is to put your iOS device in DFU Mode using Redsn0w instructions on the screen.
Finally, sit back and let Redsn0w go in bunch of steps and you'll finally get untethered jailbreak on your new-generation iOS device.
Please note that this is a beta release, and upcoming versions will bring support for Windows users and will have built-in usbmuxd for easy process.