How to upgrade iPhone 3G/3Gs to 06.15.00 baseband using Redsn0w

As we announced yesterday, you can now on firmware on iPhone 3G and 3Gs, please notice that this is not for iPhone4, updating your baseband to on your iPhone4 would be pointless so please don't do it. There are certain risks involved with updating your baseband to . You may void any warranty due to baseband upgrade or miss critical upgrades for your baseband as they are released by Apple. There is no way to hide your baseband . After the upgrade , you cannot restore an earlier baseband by any means.

This tutorial will walk you through how to update to 06.15.00 baseband using Redsn0w.

DOWNLOAD
redsn0w 0.9.6b6 - Mac OSX
redsn0w 0.9.6b6 - Windows

Step-by-Step Guide to Upgrade Baseband 06.15.00 :

1. Download iOS 4.2.1 .ipsw files for your iphone 3GS 3G
2. Download and install latest version of iTunes 10.1 on your computer . Update your device to iOS 4.2.1 downloaded in Step 1
3. Download RedSn0w 0.9.6b5 from the links above.
4. Now launch RedSnow 0.9.6b5 and browse the ios 4.2.1 .ipsw file you just downloaded.

5. Next step is where RedSn0w identifies the .ipsw and prepares for jailbreaking your device.
6. Now you will be shown the screen where you have to make choices . Select “Install Cydia” & “Install Baseband

7. Next you must connect your device to the computer. Make sure its turned off before you click on Next .
8. Now you must enter DFU mode. [ How-to enter DFU Mode ]. Follow on-screen instructions to put your device in the DFU mode by holding the Home and Power button together for 10 seconds. the Power button while still holding the Home button .
9. Now RedSn0w will start jailbreaking your phone and when it's done you will be on the 06.15.00 iPad baseband.

You can now unlock your device using Ultrasn0w 1.2, click here for a tutorial on how to do that

29 Responses to How to upgrade iPhone 3G/3Gs to 06.15.00 baseband using Redsn0w

1. […] is the 2nd step to unlock your iPhone 3G or 3Gs on 4.2.1 If you haven’t already, you must update to baseband 06.15.00 before this step will […]

2. dristy says:

Is there any ways to unlock for those who got the iphone comes with 4.2.1 ios. I have already successfully jailbreak my device with greenpoison RC5 and it’s works magically on it’s first attempt. But I can’t unlock my phone for that I may able to use any carriers sim. Is there any hope that the unlock software will released in future???

3. Jughead says:

Ok, starting to assume its not possible. A friend gave me an original iphone its on 4.2 with bb 5.15.4 i believe it maybe 5.14.4..sorry its in dfu mode at the moment. Ive used redsnow .096b6 using the 4.2 ipsw and selected the ipad baseband change so that i can unlock it. It gets to a point where it says waiting on reboot and just hangs.

should i give up?

thanks

By original iPhone do you mean 2G? As far as I know the iPad baseband only works on 3G and 3Gs iPhones, so if you have the 2G you might be stuck until the new unlock comes out.

4. Tonychan says:

Need help! I updated an iPad firmware and installed Cydia successful but message said it is tether jailbreak. Then i try to install the GreenPoison on it. but now I got nothing in my home screen on iphone. The phone booted up but I can’t do anything because there is no app even apple original app. Does anyone know about it? Please help me, thanks! Yes, this is my first time to unlock my iphone.

What firmware are you on? Greenpois0n only works for 4.1 and 4.2.1, if you are on the 4.3.1 you will have to wait until midnight tonight(April 3rd) Pacific Standard time for an untethered jailbreak. Let us know!

• Tonychan says:

i’m on 4.2.1. thank you! the thing is now i have none of apps even the default apps come with the phone.

5. Tonychan says:

I’m on 4.2.1 with iPad BB 06.15.00. But I went to Setting—-> General —> Reset —-> Erase all Content and Settings…to delete my information. Now everything is gone. All apps are gone even the default apps from apple. I only could power on the iPhone but nothing is in there, no phone app, no iTunes app, no apple store, no weather, no stock, no calendar, no message, no photos, no maps, etc. It means everything is gone now. Please help! I can’t update to 4.3.1 because i’m on iPad BB 06.15.00. Greenpois0n is in there because i see the logo when start up. but at home screen is completely nothing.

Sounds like you’re gonna have to do a fresh restore. You can still update with the 06.15.00 baseband, you just have to do it in Pwned DFU mode with a pre-jailbroken firmware using Tiny TSS Server to bypass the Apple activation servers. As long as you have your SHSH you will still be able to restore 4.2.1

• Tonychan says:

I just want to have all my default apps back as original. I really don’t know much about the iPhone. It is my first time to unlock it myself also. But u said about a fresh restore, how can i do that? how can i do Tiny TSS Server to bypass the apple activation servers? can u show me the way? thank!

6. Tonychan says:

Thank you so much! I will try to restore it and will let u know if it has been successful or not or fix my problem or not.

7. […] Turn it on in browser settings to view this mobile website. iPhoneBlogr.com Next Skip to Responses Back […]

8. br says:

got iphone3g on ios4.2.1 and cant update to 06.15.. keeps sayin it ‘cant fetch ipad baseband, check internet connection’.. but connection’s ok.help pliiiiiiiiiiiiz

9. wax says:

I have an iphone 3g(s) with supporting firmware of 4.2.1…i’m not able to unlock it because it has a NEWER BOOTROM ….
    i have tried to unlock, jailbreak it with redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6(enabled cydia & ipad baseband) but it says newer bootrom(SERIES NO.)
    how can i unlock it?????

When you first load the 4.2.1 firmware into Redsn0w a popup will come up that asks you if you have the newer iPhone 3Gs or older, you must tell it that you have the newer one or the iPad baseband will not work

10. SDO says:

Does anyone know if there’s another way to get my GSM signal of my 3GS working? Got it at 5.16.xx. Firmware is 4.3.3. Dont feel like losing my GPS function to be honest.

11. Maxvot says:

I have some odd situation at my end. I have iPhone 3G wich was jailbreaked and unlocked with ultrasonw. Accidentally, I upgraded my Modem Firmware to 5.14.02 & version is 4.1 (8B117). Fortunately my service provider allowed me to get on to network. I dont know how, may be in my country (India) now we have oficial unlocked iphones.

Now my question is, since we can use official unlock phones in India. If I upgrade my iPhone 3g to 4.2 version through with my itunes. Will it work ? Cause I have no clue about what firm ware I would be getting.

The reason I need to upgrade to 4.2 is that, I dont see many facilities in my phone right now. e.g. Setting up fonts for notes. Multitasking. Home screen and lock screen option etc.

Please suggest or help.

12. Rodders says:

A bit lost really. I was setting my 3G back to factory settings after getting a new phone. And followed these instructions to the letter other than using RedSn0w 0.9.9b6. (does this make a difference???) and it all seems to work fine but eventually when the phone restarts it keeps asking me to plug in into iTunes. And iTunes just says “iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.”

How do I get past this??????

13. Michelle Vaske says:

thank you!!  finally got my phone unlocked using this tuto and redsn0w 0.9.9b6, I was using the latest version and it kept crashing.  curious to see how my gps faired…

14. Cokirix_ says:

awesome guide, it works so well! keep up the good works you guys are awesome