How To: Install NitoTV On Your Jailbroken Apple TV 2G

This is a on install (the first ever application for the ) on your already jailbroken Apple TV 2G.

If you have not jailbroken your Apple TV 2G, click here for my tutorial on how to do so.

How to:

Step 1. Please plug your Apple TV into your TV and turn it on, please also ensure that it is connected to your network. This can ether be done using the built in WIFI or ethernet connection.

Step 2. We now need to find your Apple TV's IP address. On your Apple TV please click Settings -> General. Then scroll down to Network and click on that. Under IP Adress please take note of the number there. For example this could be: 10.1.1.17, or 192.168.1.5

Step 3. We now need to SSH into your Apple TV. Please ensure that it is connected to the same network as the computer you will be connecting via. On Mac, open Terminal (Apple button+Space, type Terminal).

Step 4. Please type the following into Terminal:

ssh root@192.168.1.5

Please replace these numbers with the IP address of your device.

Step 5. When Terminal asks you for the password. Please enter the default SSH password, Alpine, and hit enter

Great. Your screen should now look like the following:

Step 6. Now enter the following command:

echo "deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

Hit enter

Step 7. Type the following:

apt-get update

Step 8. Type the following:

apt-get install com.nito.nitoTV

Your computer will now download and install the necessary files. Please wait while these are downloaded.

Step 9. Type the following:

killall Lowtide

Step 10. Your Apple TV will now restart and you will have NitoTV installed! Congrats!

As more applications are released please check back for a tull tutorial on how to add these!

48 Responses to How To: Install NitoTV On Your Jailbroken Apple TV 2G

1. […] you would like to, please click here to continue reading for a tutorial on how to install NitoTV (the first ever jailbroken Apple TV […]

2. […] Install NitoTV (currently just enables Weather and RSS apps so far) […]

3. Yann says:

I can´t paste the commandline “echo “deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list” into the terminal, there comes an error. even when i type the letters in and not pasting them the error message comes…

4. Yann says:

When i search for BTstack there are many packages that could be installed. The first one is btstack drivers and the third is btstackkeyboard, but the installation failed.

5. […] This is a quick, simple tutorial on how to remove application from the Apple TV 2G, for example Plex or NitoTV. […]

6. goodnbad says:

the following message shows in the end of the process:
    W: GPG error: http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./ Release: The following signatures couldn’t be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 89711CE585F73AB5
    What can I do????

7. mike says:

now it giving errors on type deb..

8. Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down… Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

9. sky1ne says:

Quote twitter @nitotv : “thanks to @DHowett we’re back with a temporary repo address at http://awkwardtv.dyndns.tv/ please RT!!”

just replace apt.awkwardtv.org with the above.

This source works – I’ve installed NitoTv 10 minutes ago…!

10. Emerson says:

Need some help with a valid source. I’ve tried these two but no luck.

echo “deb http://awkwardtv.dyndns.tv/ ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

echo “deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org ./” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list

11. jd2157 says:

The killall command should be “killall AppleTV” and not “killall Lowtide” (Lowtide was probably from Apple TV 1st generation (not 2nd gen).

12. MH says:

I hade some problem with the installation when I used WinSCP. (get error messages “errror 100 ….. ) I changed to PuTTy and it worked. Dont know why, but know my Apple Tv works again 🙂

13. krisi says:

Hi. I need some help.

I’ve jailbroken my apple tv and im going to install nitotv, BUT the password alpine does NOT work. I’ve tried it on 2 pc’s, but still no luck. I have not changed the password..

CAN ANY1 HELP ME? 😀

14. oldboy says:

Hi

I get an error after i type:

Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get update
    E: Malformed line 1 in source list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xmbc.list (dist)

My ATV2 is jailbroken with 4.4.4

Please help

15. Nico says:

im stuck at 99% [5 packages bzip2 0B]…
    i cant get further…?!

16. Aaron says:

good guide but the last bit needs to be killall AppleTV

aaron

17. Alnandoespaillatdr2 says:

i just finish the whole process and rebooted my apple tv and into is no where on the menu screen and then i tried it again but used killall AppleTV at the end to see and nothing as well. Is NitoTV still running or something? whats going on
     Alnando

18. Mcapone1980 says:

can’t type in password after the ssh root command!!!!

19. Mcapone1980 says:

Apple-TV:~ root# kill all appletv
    -sh: kill: all: arguments must be process or job IDs
    -sh: kill: appletv: arguments must be process or job IDs
    Apple-TV:~ root#

this is what i get after typing killall appletv

20. […] goeie tip: installeer nitotv op je atv2 (zoals cydia op je iPhone) Zal je toekomstige updates van xbmc veel makkelijker kunnen […]

21. anna says:

can i install nitotv on ios 5.1?

22. K Penrose says:

IT REALLY REALLY SUCKS THAT I CAN’T JB MY IPHONE4s or even whats it caLled when you have to keep rebooting it off computa

23. NitoTV | says:

[…] http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/10/how-to-install-nitotv-on-your-jailbroken-apple-tv-2g/ This entry was posted in Software, Tools. Bookmark the permalink. ← Apple TV 2 Day 6 → […]

24. Milad Mitt says:

This is if you have Mac, where’s PC instructions?

The instructions are the same for both PC and Mac, just use a Windows SSH program instead of Terminal.

25. Thaiv says:

I used SeasOnPass to jailbreak my AppleTV. The tried to install nitoTV using the directions above. After the reboot, I see the icon for nitoTV and can select it. My goal is to then install XBMC. WHen I select the “Install Software” option, there is nothing in the list. The only two options I have from there are “Search” and “Update All.”

Further, I tried to install XBMC through the ssh. After the reboot, I see the space for the XBMC icon (although there is not a picture for the icon) but if I select it, it just brings up a screen with the option, “XBMC” highlighted. If I try to select it, it reboots the AppleTV.

Any help would be great!

26. SRSCA says:

What the hell good is Nito TV if XBMC is already installed???